Wednesday, April 11, 2012

First Cross Fit Class


I don't feel like I ever truly understood Cross Fit. My teachers and many classmates of mine at the school I went to for personal training (NPTI) were all super into it and a lot of it was incorporated into our workouts throughout those 24 weeks, yet I did not truly understand it until I took my boss' Cross Fit class last night at the gym I am interning at.

Above is the work out we did. Between each round we ran a lap around the outside of the gym.
I came in second each time, in this particular class, and a female came in first every round. There were three ladies in this particular seven person class.

I'm starting to realize more and more about the comments people, usually men, automatically make regarding fitness levels. I will give them benefit of the doubt and say it's out of habit or something, but for example referring to modifications of exercises, many refer to weak/incapable females.
"And for the ladies in the class you can use this band to help you do a pull-up if you can't do one on your own."
 
Ahem...first of all I feel for the men who can't do a pull-up on their own and now they're being compared to a women, in a negative light...which is also pretty twisted and I don't agree with that at all...
Secondly, this gives me hard core motivation to be the [lady] that does not need those modifications. (for the record I cannot do one single pull-up on my own, I need a band!)

I am not a feminist by any means. I just happen to strongly believe that both sexes should be treated equally. I don't think because you are a male you are automatically stronger than I am and I do not think because I am a female I deserve more of anything...

For the record, I want to say my boss at the gym I am interning at is very, very polite & respectful and made a point to address both men and women who might need modifications.

Anyway, now I'm starting to rant and I will let you go on with your merry way.

Stay positive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment