Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Morning vs. Afternoon

 

Yesterday, when I said I walked up to the Nansen Summit by my house, this is where I walk to. This picture does not do it justice but it is a lovely little park-ish space in the midst of very fancy houses, and it portrays a lovely view of suburbia.  It is only about point seven miles from my house so the round trip comes out to about a mile and a half walk. Although it is a very steep walk up to the summit and therefore, some days, feels a little longer.

I have decided to add an April resolution to the list. 
The wake-early-and-walk-if-it's-nice rule.
It will be a challenge.
I do not like waking early. 
I love my bed. 
It is so comfy and so not easy to get out of in the morning. 
Even if I wake from my slumber and I feel rested and ready for my day the coziness keeps me drawn in and eventually I want to go back to sleep. However I know if I do I will not feel awesome when I awake the next time, instead I will feel even more weighted and it will be even harder to get out of bed. Similar to the feeling of being shook from a REM sleep cycle by your alarm going off. Just grogginess and no clear thoughts for the first few minutes.

I am not a morning person, but waking early does not mean I am getting up at the crack of dawn. Today I am going to go into work at noon. So I got up at 9:30 this morning. 9:30 really is not that early. I was thinking to myself on the way up to the summit this morning that the morning air smells different than the afternoon air and how it is easier for me to get up and look out the window and say it's nice out now, I'm going. Rather than saying I hope it's nice out later, if it is I'll do it when I get home. There is so much room for error in that sentence. At least for myself, I know me too well. I will get home from work and I will be tired and I will not feel like going for a walk.

In the book I am reading called Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar, Ph.D. it is suggested to make rituals out of new routines. I like this idea, it's kind of a psychological trick. If we do not ritualize activities, whether working out in the gym, spending time with our family, or reading for pleasure, we often don't get to them and rather then being spontaneous, we become reactive, to others' demands on our time and energy.

Just a little something for you to think about today.
What have you done for you lately?
I am slowly trying to add more 'rituals' into my life.
Like this, wake-early-and-walk-if-its-nice, rule.
You know, the last two mornings, these walks really refresh me and get me ready for my day.
A nice way to break the routine.
What will you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment