Thursday, March 15, 2012

Meditation

Have you ever meditated or even considered doing it?

For me, the first time I think I ever truly meditated was in a yoga class that my gym at the time offered. Looking back now I didn't even realize I had been mediating. At the end of the yoga class the instructor had up lay back on our mats with our eyes closed, focus on deep breathing with lovely nature-type music playing softly in the room. Go to a peaceful place in your mind, forget all worries, stresses and cares you might have with you today. Let them roll off you like a drop of water. I left that yoga class feeling so freaking relaxed, calm, clear-headed, and simply blissful. At the time I was completely blown away by the kind of high you could get off of just taking a yoga class.

As years have passed I've learned quite a bit about meditation but I do not practice it regularly. Every time it is brought to attention again I want to start getting into it. 

It was brought to my attention again today, so I Googled a bit of information on it. If you didn't already know meditation can help you to be less stressed and have a new outlook on stressful situations. It can also help you get in more in touch with yourself. People don't usually listen to their bodies very often, they just simply think and act. According to this Mayo Clinic article meditation can also help you to focus on the present and reduce negative emotions. 

There are several different types of meditation that I read about in the Mayo Clinic article. (I do recommend that you read it to!) The one I realized that I do from time to time on my own is called Guided or Imagery/Visualization. I go to a place in my mind that I have just completely made up, if it does exist I would love to go there or one day I would love to create this place for myself. I go to this place in times when I just need to cool down, want to feel more relaxed/calm or even when I am having a hard time falling asleep. 

Slowly, over time, I have added things into this place; but when it all started I was sitting beneath one giant tree on top of a hill. The hill, under the tree that I was sitting on was in the middle of a giant open lusciously grassy green field. Down the hill and onward just a bit, the edge of field comes to a forest. The forest is filled with trees just like the one I am sitting under. If I were to walk through the forest in the middle of the day the sun would beam down through the trees and it would be easy to take a stroll through it. It is always sunny and warm here. Sometimes there is no noise, sometimes the birds are chirping and the wind is warmly blowing about. After awhile I added another large tree and placed a hammock between the two. I don't often lay in the hammock but it is nice every once in awhile. Today I added a single bamboo fence, maybe about six feet long, just a few feet away from the trees & hammock. The bamboo fence still sits on top of hill and beyond it, some time I will plant a little garden. But for now I am using it to be able to lay down and do any type of stretching I like with it's assistance. I also brought my cat Dina here today, where she shall stay from now on. She likes to sleep in the hammock. 

Where would you go if you could just to get away? 
What kind of place comes to mind? 
You don't have to go into great detail. You also don't have to practice this type of meditation.
I do challenge you to try doing it though. Even if it is just for a couple minutes. 
Sit down, breathe deeply, let there be light soothing music or no sound at all--so your mind does not wander. Concentrate on your breathing and positive things in your life. Let go of every single negative feeling you have been holding on to, because it's simply your choice to be holding on to it.
Let go, feel freer and continue on with your day a little more relaxed/open-minded.


No comments:

Post a Comment