Sunday, November 6, 2011

& I thought I had nothing in the fridge…


So my weekend was amazing and they seem to just keep getting better and better every freakin' weekend! It’s awesome getting to spend time with people I don't get to see too often, travel if I want to, and be able to relax. I never realized how awesome life would sync up by just having weekends free!

Friday night I saw the Cherry Poppin Daddies (#1 hit being Zuit Suit Riot) live downtown Portland for the second time. They were just as good as the first time! Very upbeat and dancey the entire time, quite lively and felt like I was in the 1920s for a moment. I love dancing! It was great having my favorite dancing partner there with me :)

Saturday I watched an AMAZING documentary called Forks Over Knives (www.ForksOverKnives.com) that was suggested to me by a friend. It was made this year (2011) and the second I finished watching it I went online and purchased it. I was not expecting to be completely awestruck by this film, but I sincerely urge everyone I know to take 96 minutes out of his or her lives and watch it!! It is now listed under my “Film” tab [above] with a synopsis and where you can view it. If you personally know me and are reading this, chances are I will see you this holiday season and will insist that you watch it with me! Be ready.

I had also been planning all week to go to Bella Organic farm on Sauvie’s Island. Ever since I watch the documentary Ingredients I’ve been wanting to buy local/organic food—considering I live in Portland I figured this couldn’t be too difficult. However the farm closed on the fourth so I was unable to go. Thankfully, I remembered a company a couple blocks from my first apartment in Portland, called ‘Organics to You’. I looked up their website and signed up for their service. They put together different style ‘bins’ you can choose from to have delivered to your house weekly, biweekly, or monthly. The bins consist of locally and organically grown produce. I chose the ‘bin for one’ that will consist of a random variety of fruits and veggies. You can select Add-on items from teas, cheese, local/organic beef and pork, to little baskets that’s contain herbs or salad mixes (with cucumbers, fresh greens, etc). I am so excited to start receiving this service!!My first delivery should be the 17th.
You can visit the Organics to You website by CLICKING RIGHT HERE!

I also saw a band called Deer Tick at the Mission Theatre in NW Portland Saturday night. Amazing live band, put on a great show! I definitely suggest looking into them.
Today (Sunday) I strapped down and started studying for my three tests that I have every week. This week in school we are learning about endocrine response to resistance training (physiology), proteins (nutrition), and the deltoids (anatomy). Studying has come pretty easy tonight and I am thankful and excited about it. Still have a tad more to do, and then think I might take a jog up the street to my friend's house to say hi. Haven’t seen her in awhile and miss her and her roomies.
I think I’ve mentioned it previously, but I recently have taken interest in making a transition to be a vegan—meaning a person that doesn't consume any dairy products whatsoever. I still plan on eating eggs, bread, small amounts of cheese, and probably ice-cream on occasion. Tonight, thinking I barely had anything in the house to eat I made a quest out to make myself a vegan dinner (failed w the pasta part, but close). The recipe is below:

Surprisingly Delicious Stir Fry of Sorts
1 package Udon Noodles
(udon noods are not vegan)
½ 1 bunch green onions
1 tbsp Chopped garlic
1 carrot (sliced thing w peeler)
5 mushrooms (sliced)
1/3 c chopped mixed nuts
1 small tomato, diced chunky
3 tsp Worceshire sauce
2 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinaigrette
Salt & Pepper
Organic dried basil
1 tbsp vegetable oil.

-bring some water to a boil and pour over udon noodles
-set aside, letting udon noodles soak and loosen.
-heat frying pan on medium-high
-pour oil in pan
-add green onions, garlic and mushrooms
-sauté for a few minutes until mushrooms start to soften
-add carrot and tomato
-add worceshire sauce
-continue to sauté for a few minutes
-add teriyaki sauce, balsamic vin. and udon noodles
-saute
-sprinkle salt and pepper and dried basil over everything
-mix well and serve!
**a squirt of lemon juice adds nice flavor as well!

Like I said, surprisingly delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment